Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mommy classes

Finally made it to my first mommy class. It was ironically about sleep training, a topic that Brent and I talk a lot about lately. We moved Evy to her big crib from the cosleeper at 3 months and the first few nights she slept 6-7 hours straight. Then she started fluctuating between 3, 4, and 5 hours. Every time she awakens I get up and nurse her, change her, and nurse her back to sleep. I let her chat for a little bit before picking her up but I don't let her cry. I learned today that maybe I should let her cry for awhile because she is learning that I will pick her up and nurse or rock her to sleep every time and she won't be able to fall asleep on her own. Eye opener! Brent has been wanting to let her cry it out before me but I don't have the iron stomach he does to hear baby wail. Kim- the instructor- said combo Ferber method with some crying it out is good for babies. Maybe just sit in room with them and let them fuss and gradually move the chair farther and farther away. At first they can smell you and see you so that helps them not feel abandoned. A gal was there who had a 7 month old who goes to bed at 630p! Evy goes down around 9p. I guess we should move it up- we tried around 8 last night to put her down and she was wide awake and talking to me as well as fussy. She has been sleeping between 10-14 hours a night and her naps are super inconsistent during the day. 

Let the sleep training commence!



No comments:

Post a Comment